Craving Mexican flavors, but don’t want the associated carbs? You’ll love this Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl topped with salsa and Lime-Avocado Sauce.
Whenever my nephews drag me to Chipotle, I always get a burrito bowl with guacamole and no rice. I love the combination of seasoned chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese, and avocado. It does make a great lunch or quick dinner. (I eat about half of what they serve me and take the rest home.)
This Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl is just as fast to get on the table as waiting in line at Chipotle. It’s also perfect for a family that may contain picky eaters. Put each ingredient into a separate bowl and let each person add only what they like. Anyone who’s watching sodium may want to skimp on the black beans.
Season the chicken however you like. I used Moxy Kitchen’s Yucatan Spice Mix, a combination of garlic powder, Aleppo pepper, cumin, oregano, and allspice. If you aren’t familiar with Moxy Kitchen, they make sugar-free, salt-free spice blends and donate all of their proceeds to diabetes research. How great is that?
Although this Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl is quick to make, there are a few shortcuts you can take:
- Use leftover chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken and shred it.
- Substitute store-bought guacamole for the 5-Minute Lime-Avocado Sauce.
- Try salsa from a jar (but watch the sodium).
Disclosure: I received a free sample of Yucatan Spice Mix from Moxy Kitchen.
Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl with Lime-Avocado Sauce
- 8 ounces chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Moxy Kitchen Yucatan Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 avocado
- 2/3 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces colby-jack, cheddar-jack, or cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Low-Sodium Easy Homemade Salsa or prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup 5-Minute Lime-Avocado Sauce
- Slice chicken into bite-sized strips or cut it into chunks. Season it right on the cutting board with the Yucatan Spice Mix.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and let cool.
- Chop or slice remaining avocado.
- Place 1 cup of arugula into each of 2 serving bowls. Add half of the chicken, avocado, beans, and cheese to each bowl.
- Top with salsa and Lime-Avocado Sauce.