Craving a tasty Mexican dish without all the carbs? This Tex-Mex burrito bowl with lime-avocado sauce is so delicious, you won’t even miss the tortilla!
I don’t go to Chipotle often, but when I do, I always get a burrito bowl with guacamole and no rice. I love the combination of seasoned chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese, and avocado.
One day, I decided to see if I could recreate the flavors at home. Now, I always make this Tex-Mex burrito bowl with lime-avocado sauce instead of ordering take-out!
Not only is this bowl just as delicious, but it also takes about the same amount of time to make as you’d spend waiting in line at Chipotle. And I know exactly what ingredients are going into my meal.
So if you love Mexican-inspired dishes as much as I do, ditch the take-out or the high-carb tortillas and make this delicious burrito bowl instead.
How to make Tex-Mex burrito bowl with lime-avocado sauce
This healthy dish comes together in just a few easy steps.
Step 1: Slice the chicken into bite-sized strips. Season with chili powder, cumin, garlic pepper, and salt.
Step 2: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken, stirring occasionally, until it’s cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with paper towels and allow it to rest.
Step 4: Chop or slice the avocado.
Step 5: Grab 2 bowls and add 1 cup of arugula to each one. Divide the chicken, avocado, beans, and cheese between the bowls.
Step 6: Top with salsa and Lime-Avocado Sauce.
That’s it! Making your burrito bowl at home may be even faster than ordering take-out from your local Tex-Mex fast-food spot. And you can guarantee that the ingredients are cleaner, too!
Variations and tips for this recipe
The best part of any burrito bowl is that you can make it exactly how you want it. So feel free to get creative with your ingredients!
Want to save some time? Instead of making your own chicken, use leftover chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store. You could also use store-bought guacamole and salsa, just be sure to check the labels for added sugar and sodium.
Prefer pinto beans? Use them instead of black beans!
Enjoy a little heat? Add some cayenne to your chicken seasoning or top your bowl with your hot sauce of choice before eating.
Don’t like arugula? Use romaine or spinach instead. Or you could omit the lettuce entirely and serve your burrito bowl over low-carb cauliflower rice instead!
Have some fun making your perfect burrito bowl.
Once your bowl has been assembled, it will be best enjoyed immediately. Otherwise, the ingredients could make the lettuce soggy.
To prep your ingredients in advance, simply make the chicken, lime-avocado sauce, and homemade salsa ahead of time. Store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and the sauces for up to a week.
Then, when it’s time to assemble your dish, just add the lettuce to the bowl and top with all of your ingredients!
Other Mexican-inspired recipes
I love the flavors and ingredients you find in Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine. And there are so many delicious ways to prepare them! Here are a few of my favorite recipes that I know you’ll enjoy:
When you’ve tried this burrito bowl, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Tex-Mex Burrito Bowl with Lime-Avocado Sauce
- 8 ounces chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic pepper
- ⅛ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 cups baby arugula
- ½ avocado
- ⅔ cup black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 ounces colby-jack, cheddar-jack, or cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons Low-Sodium Easy Homemade Salsa
- ¼ cup 5-Minute Lime-Avocado Sauce
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized strips. Season with the chili powder, cumin, garlic pepper, and salt.8 ounces chicken breast, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon garlic pepper, ⅛ teaspoons Kosher salt
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken, stirring occasionally, until it’s cooked through, about 10 minutes.1 tablespoon olive oil, 8 ounces chicken breast
- Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with paper towels and allow it to rest.
- Chop or slice the avocado.½ avocado
- Grab 2 bowls and add 1 cup of arugula to each one. Divide the chicken, avocado, beans, and cheese between the bowls.2 cups baby arugula, ⅔ cup black beans, 2 ounces colby-jack, cheddar-jack, or cheddar cheese
- Top with salsa and Lime-Avocado Sauce.2 tablespoons Low-Sodium Easy Homemade Salsa, ¼ cup 5-Minute Lime-Avocado Sauce
Marcie Rechlin says
Thank you for doing this web site I’m going to make the tex mex burrito bowl
Shelby Kinnaird says
Thanks, Marcie! Hope you enjoy the burrito bowl. Let me know what variation you come up with!
Diego Lopes says
I love tex-mex, so this dish looks like I could eat it way faster than it takes to prepare it!
Shelby Kinnaird says
Diego – We love Tex-Mex too! Hope you like the recipe.