Pull this Lemony Romaine and Avocado Salad out of your back pocket when you need a quick side. You can also beef it up to make a meal.
Disclosure: I received a free copy of Simply Vegetarian Cookbook by Susan Pridmore for review purposes. This post contains at least one affiliate link, which means if you click it and make a purchase, I may earn a tiny commission. All opinions are my own.
When I found out Susan had written a cookbook, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it! This Lemony Romaine and Avocado Salad is one of the first recipes I tried from Simply Vegetarian Cookbook: Fuss-Free Recipes Everyone Will Love. You won’t believe how such a simple, vegan salad can have so much flavor!
Tweaks I Made to Lemony Romaine and Avocado Salad
When I made Susan’s salad, I did improvise a bit:
- I had some Citrus Vinaigrette in my refrigerator, so I used that instead of making the Lemon Vinaigrette below.
- Summer isn’t pomegranate season, so I used some seeds I had in the freezer. They were a little mushier than fresh, but I did like the pop of color.
- The CompostMaster added some smoked salmon on top of his portion and made the salad a meal.
- I toasted my pine nuts in a dry nonstick pan for a touch of smoky flavor.
I originally made half of the recipe (3 servings) for the CompostMaster and me. He ended up making another batch because he liked this salad so much. Kudos, Susan!
Lemony Romaine and Avocado Salad
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 avocados
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil.
- Remove and discard any wilted leaves from the romaine. Wash and spin-dry the remaining leaves. Tear or slice the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place the leaves in a large bowl, and toss with the pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and half of the vinaigrette
- Slice the avocados in half. Remove the pit from each, and slice the avocados into long thin slices. Using a large spoon, carefully scoop the slices out of the peel.
- Layer the avocado slices on top of the lettuce in the bowl, and drizzle half of the remaining dressing over them. Carefully toss using your hands or a large metal spoon. Add the remaining dressing as needed.
- Finish with a few sprinkles of pepper.