Don’t feel deprived when everyone else is binging on cookies this holiday season. Enjoy some high-fiber Key Lime Date Balls with Pistachios instead.
So, what do you do if you want to make holiday treats, but don’t want to use a ton of sugar and don’t particularly like artificial sweeteners? Use dates! While dates are high in sugar, they have a low glycemic index and may be a perfectly fine sugar substitute for people with diabetes.
Treats like these Key Lime Date Balls with Pistachios are easy to make (only 3 ingredients) and will satisfy your sweet tooth while giving you a boost of fiber, antioxidants, and protein. They may even make your gut healthier too.
Other Recipes Featuring Dates
Like the idea of using dates as a sweetener? Try these other desserts.
The recipe below contains at least one affiliate link. See my disclosures page for more information.
Key Lime Date Balls with Pistachios
- 1/2 cup pitted dates about 10
- 1 cup shelled pistachios divided
- 3 tablespoons Nellie & Joe's key lime juice
- In a food processor, combine the dates, 3/4 cup of pistachios, and the lime juice. Process until the mixture starts to clump and come together in a ball.
- Chop the remaining 1/4 cup pistachios and place in a small shallow bowl.
- Use a 1.5-inch cookie scoop to shape the date mixture into balls. Roll in your hands, then in the pistachios.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.