I decided to put my eggplants and zucchini together in a noodleless lasagna-like dish with mozzarella and Parmesan and some basil and oregano from my herb garden. I threw in some ground turkey because I had it on hand. Without the turkey, this dish would make an excellent vegetarian entrée.
This recipe is a bit high in fat due to the oil used in the eggplant preparation and the amount of cheese involved. Feel free to use your eggplant raw or cut back on the amount of cheese to save some fat calories and let me know how it turns out!
Eggplant Zucchini Bake
- 1 pound white eggplants about 2 small
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce or any other tomato-based sauce
- Leaves from 5-6 stalks of fresh oregano
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ pound zucchini, sliced into rounds about 1 medium
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- Slice eggplant into rounds. Place on a platter (in as close to a single layer as you can get) and sprinkle with kosher salt. Place another platter on top of the eggplant and then add some type of weight such as a cast iron pan. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, brown turkey in skillet over medium heat. Remove turkey to plate lined with paper towels and wipe out skillet. Return turkey to skillet and add tomato sauce and oregano leaves. Once the sauce is heated through, turn off heat.
- Drain off liquid that has accumulated in the bottom of the eggplant platter. Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant slices and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. (You may have to do several batches, depending on the size of your pan.) Drain eggplant on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place a few tablespoons of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Layer in half of the eggplant and half of the zucchini. (I like to do alternating rows of eggplant and zucchini.) Spread about half of remaining tomato sauce on the vegetables. Tear basil leaves and sprinkle half of them on top of the sauce. Cover with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese has melted.