I’ve been intrigued with cauliflower ever since I saw vegan Chef Jason Wrobel’s show How to Live to 100 on the Cooking Channel. He dedicated an entire episode to this superfood, creating dishes such as Cheesy Cauliflower “Popcorn” and Buffalo-Style Cauliflower with Cashew-Dill Dipping Sauce. Sadly, the show only lasted four episodes.
When I saw cauliflower crust pizza popping up everywhere, I knew I had to give it a try. Why?
- A pizza crust made out of cauliflower instead of wheat would be both low-carb and gluten-free.
- Cauliflower boosts heart and brain health.
- Cauliflower keeps inflammation in check.
- Cauliflower is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
- Cauliflower is a great source of dietary fiber. And we all need more fiber.
A cauliflower crust may not be as crisp or as chewy as take-out pizza, but I guarantee you’ll feel better after eating it. The CompostMaster, who is not much of a pizza fan, loved this crust. I guess I’ll be able to have pizza more often now.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Gluten-free)
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets, then chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until fine. (It should look like couscous.) Scrape into a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave at 100% for 5 minutes.
- Dump the cauliflower onto a clean dish towel and spread it out. Let it sit until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimless baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring the edges of the towel together and form a pouch. Over a bowl, twist and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. (Save the liquid for soups, cooking beans, etc.)
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano, salt, garlic pepper, and egg. Transfer to the baking sheet and and form into a circle (or whatever shape you want your pizza to be). Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add your toppings. Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes.