Monday is Memorial Day and Saturday is National Burger Day. I’m celebrating by cramming all of the great flavors you find in Buffalo Chicken Wings into a low-carb bunless burger. We’re talking chicken, celery, carrots, hot sauce, and blue cheese. These Buffalo Chicken Burgers should perk up your picnic.
I’ve been craving a burger, but I didn’t want to ruin my recent run of excellent blood sugars by eating a big ol’ carb-heavy bun. I decided to wrap our burgers in lettuce, so I sent the CompostMaster to the store for butter lettuce. He came back with Bibb lettuce, which is smaller. We couldn’t quite fit our quarter-pound burgers on a single leaf, but we made do. If you can’t find butter lettuce, just use iceberg lettuce.
We made four burgers for the two of us and each ate one for dinner. For lunch the following day, I made a salad – lettuce, shredded carrots, diced celery, crumbled Buffalo Chicken Burgers, and blue cheese dressing. Yum!
Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce I used Frank's RedHot® Sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 large leaves butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- blue cheese dressing I like the one from Honest Fare
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, carrots, celery, scallions, egg, hot sauce, and blue cheese. Mix until well-combined.
- Shape into four patties.
- Pan-fry, grill, or broil until cooked through.
- Place each burger on a lettuce leaf, then add blue cheese dressing and additional hot sauce, if desired. Roll up and eat as a lettuce wrap.