How great would it be on a weekday morning to pamper yourself with a nice, fluffy omelet containing bits of bacon, green pepper, and onion plus gooey cheddar cheese? Since that’s probably not going to happen, make up a batch of these Bacon & Egg Muffins on Sunday and reheat them in the microwave for a quick breakfast during the work week.
If you don’t have turkey bacon, use chicken or turkey sausage or chunks of Canadian bacon. Use any type of peppers you like or throw in some mushrooms instead. I have an EarthBox currently overachieving in the banana pepper department at the moment, so I used banana peppers in my muffins. I also happen to think mushrooms are evil, so I won’t use them myself.
These muffins are a good source of Protein, Phosphorus, Selenium and Vitamin C, but they are a bit high in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. If you are watching your intake of fat and cholesterol, use an egg substitute such as Egg Beaters and/or reduced-fat cheese.
Other Breakfast Ideas
Need more breakfast ideas featuring eggs? Try these:
Bacon & Egg Muffins
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 1 small green pepper minced
- 1 banana pepper minced
- 1/4 large onion minced
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice bacon lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Cook bacon together with green pepper, banana pepper, and onion over medium-high heat until bacon is crisp and vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 6-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk eggs together with milk. Pour into 6 muffin cups. Add 1/6 of the bacon mixture to each cup. Top each with 1/6 of the cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until egg is set.