Breakfast Stuffins with Spinach, Peppers, and Cheese
Strata in muffin form with spinach, roasted red peppers, and cheese
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 ounces baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Gruyère cheese shredded
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, rinsed, drained, patted dry and diced
- 1/2 of an 8-inch round of whole grain bread about 7 ounces, crust removed and bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about a minute. Let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Stir in cheese, roasted peppers, and spinach mixture. Gently fold in bread cubes and let stand 15 minutes.
Divide mixture among muffin cups. Bake until puffed and set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Pick a bread that doesn't contain any trans-fat.
Gluten-free? Use GF bread.
Serving: 1stuffin | Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 277mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 10g