Grilled Watermelon Gazpacho
Adding grilled watermelon to gazpacho lends a nice smoky flavor. Make this cold vegan soup in the summer when tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon are in season.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho or chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 3 pounds watermelon about 1/3 of a round melon, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 medium tomato peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup English cucumber peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 medium serrano chile seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Prepare your grill (charcoal or gas).
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chile powder. Brush both sides of the watermelon slices with the mixture and then sprinkle lightly with salt.
Grill the watermelon until nicely charred, about a minute per side. Transfer to cutting board; remove rind (and seeds, if necessary). Coarsely chop the flesh.
In a food processor, combine watermelon, tomato, cucumber, cilantro, serrano chile, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Pulse until somewhat smooth, but still a bit chunky.
Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the lime juice and red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 4 hours.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 18g