Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
This beef stew with butternut squash is a little sweet, a little smoky, a little spicy, and completely delicious! You won't even miss the carrots or potatoes.
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs beef shoulder roast (fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 shallots (quartered — or 1 large onion cut into wedges)
- 8 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 28 ounces canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
In a medium bowl, combine the paprika, cinnamon, salt, ginger, red pepper, and black pepper.
Add the beef and toss to coat.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the beef, shallots, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned on all sides.
Transfer the beef mixture to a slow cooker. Add the stock, tomatoes with their liquid, and cubed butternut squash.
Cover and cook for about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
This recipe is for 8 servings of stew. Each serving is 1 cup.
Leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 617mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 21g