Kale and Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Cranberries
Winter slaw with a tangy lemon vinaigrette
Servings: 4 servings
FOR THE DRESSING
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SLAW
- ½ cup dried cranberries unsweetened
- 6 ounces kale center rib removed, thinly sliced (I used the Tuscan or Lacinato variety)
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 ounce chunk of Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
MAKE THE DRESSING
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
Add olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
MAKE THE SALAD
Add the cranberries to the dressing and let them soak for 5 to 10 minutes to plump up.
Place the kale and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cranberries from the dressing and add them to bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dressing and toss. If you want additional dressing, add more a tablespoon at a time until you get the ratio you want. Toss well.
Shave the cheese into large shards using a vegetable peeler. (Shaving is easier if you place a triangular wedge of cheese on its side.) Divide salad among 4 plates and top each with cheese.
Nutritional information was calculated assuming 2 tablespoons of dressing was used.
You will have dressing left over. Save it in the refrigerator in a glass jar for another use.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 12g