Sweet and Sour Pork (Lower Sodium, Gluten-free)
Craving sweet and sour pork? Try this healthier version with lean pork tenderloin, bell peppers, pineapple, and fresh ginger! It's lower-sodium and gluten-free.
Servings: 4 servings
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch (divided)
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin (cut into thin slices)
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (divided)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks in juice (1 can, undrained)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon light brown sugar
Mix the egg substitute and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a medium bowl.
Add the pork slices, mix well, and season with salt and white pepper.
In a small bowl, add the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water. Mix to make a paste.
Place a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the pork and stir-fry until the meat is opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the pork to a plate lined with paper towels.
Add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil to the wok. Once hot, add the bell peppers with the ginger and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
Add the pineapple chunks with their juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
Add the tamari or soy sauce, rice vinegar, and brown sugar. Stir, then add the cornstarch paste.
When the mixture begins to thicken, add the pork back to the wok. Stir to coat the pork in the sauce, then remove from heat and serve immediately.
This recipe is for 4 servings.
Leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 14g