Barley Salad with Black Beans, Avocado, and Corn
This high-fiber barley salad with black beans, avocado, and corn is perfect for meal prep! Store in the refrigerator for a quick, healthy dish any time.
Servings: 4 servings
- Juice of 1 orange (about a ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or fruit-flavored white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic (finely minced)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin — can use citrus-flavored)
- 1 cup cooked barley (cooled)
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 small red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 medium avocado (pitted, peeled, and chopped)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
Whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper until well-combined.
While continuing to whisk, add the olive oil in a steady stream.
In a large bowl, gently mix together the barley, black beans, corn, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro.
Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Before serving, add the avocado and garnish with lime wedges.
This recipe is for 4 servings of barley, black bean, and corn salad.
Gluten-free? Replace the barley with cooked brown rice or another gluten-free grain.
Watching carbs? Reduce the serving size or cut back on the amount of barley, black beans, and/or corn.
To save time, you could use a citrusy store-bought vinaigrette instead of making your own.
This dish can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. Don't add the avocado and lime wedges until you're ready to serve.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 31g