Red Lentil Chili (Instant Pot)
Looking for a hearty vegan dish to warm you up on a chilly day? This delicious red lentil chili is a little sweet, a little smoky, and oh-so-satisfying!
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces pitted dates
- 2 large red bell peppers (coarsely chopped)
- 1 28-ounce can low-sodium fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 pound red lentils (rinsed, drained, and picked over to remove debris)
- 7 cups water
- 6 ounces low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley or green onion (chopped — for garnish)
With your food processor running, drop whole garlic cloves through the tube.
Stop the processor, then add the dates, red bell peppers, and tomatoes. Blend until smooth.
Transfer the mixture to the Instant Pot and add the lentils, water, tomato paste, onion, vinegar, oregano, chili powder, paprika, chipotle chile powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
Make sure the valve is set to “sealing,” then select manual high pressure. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. If the pressure gauge hasn’t dropped, turn the valve to “venting” to Quick Release the remaining pressure.
Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with fresh parsley or green onions.
This recipe is for 12 servings. Each serving is 1 cup of chili.
To reduce the sugar, leave out the dates. Without the added sweetness, you may also want to reduce or omit the red pepper flakes.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 212mg | Potassium: 781mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4.1mg | Net carbs: 28g