Quinoa and Avocado Salad with Dried Fruit, Toasted Almonds and Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette
Versatile salad or side featuring earthy quinoa, creamy avocado, sweet fruit, and zesty lime
Servings: 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon raisins dark and/or golden
- 2 tablespoons dried apricot halves thinly sliced
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 1 large lime zest plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 medium avocados pitted, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 medium scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds toasted
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, soak the cherries, raisins and apricots in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a 2-quart saucepan, bring 2 cups water and the quinoa to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is translucent, about 15 minutes. Immediately fluff the quinoa with a fork and then spread it out on a baking sheet to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, coriander, cumin, paprika and salt. In a large bowl, combine quinoa (at room temperature), dried fruit mixture, avocado, scallions and almonds. Toss with dressing. Season with pepper.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 697mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 15.7mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.7mg | Net carbs: 28g