Jalapeño Caesar Salad with Blackened Chicken Breast
Caesar salad featuring homemade dressing and seasoned chicken breast
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 small jalapeño pepper with some of the seeds, quartered
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces organic silken tofu drained (1/2 cup)
- 1 large 18-ounce bunch romaine lettuce, roughly chopped and chilled
Preheat the broiler. Pound the chicken with a kitchen mallet until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Rub the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Broil the chicken breasts on a baking pan until done, about 8 minutes, turning once. Let the cooked chicken rest for at least 5 minutes, then slice into thin (1/4-inch-wide) strips.
Add the jalapeño, garlic, cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tofu, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to a blender and purée. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and blend until smooth.
Toss the dressing with the blackened chicken strips and lettuce, and serve. (If you toss while the chicken is hot, serve immediately so the lettuce doesn't wilt.) Alternatively, serve the dressing on the side so everyone can add their own.
Serving: 3cups | Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 380mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 5g