Pearl Couscous Salad with Beans
Couscous and bean salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh mozzarella in a garlicky vinaigrette
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pearl couscous
- 1 hothouse cucumber diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 14 ounces beans (cannellini, Great Northern, black, kidney, or a mixture), rinsed and drained 1 can
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese "pearls" or fresh mozzarella cheese diced
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, basil, garlic, and salt. Continue to whisk and add the oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous, cover, and cook on medium-low heat until tender (about 10 minutes). Drain, run under cold water, and let drain again while you make the salad.
In a large bowl, mix together cucumber, tomatoes, onion, beans, and cheese. Add cooled couscous and dressing. Toss and serve immediately or refrigerate.
Like olives? The original recipe called for a couple of ounces of olives. I'm not a huge olive fan, so I left them out. If you add them, the fat, calories, and sodium counts in the recipe will increase.
Vegan? Skip the mozzarella.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg | Net carbs: 29g