This virgin Bloody Mary is tart and spicy. If you don’t like things tart, cut back on the lemon juice. If you don’t like too much heat, reduce the amount of horseradish and/or sriracha.
Did you make Basil Salt last summer when you had that bumper crop of basil? If so, now’s the time to use some. It’s perfect for lining the rims of your glasses. You could also use plain kosher salt or a combination of kosher salt and chili powder.
If you and/or your guests aren’t avoiding alcohol, you can add vodka to individual glasses. Find tips for managing alcohol and diabetes in my book The Pocket Carbohydrate Guide for Diabetes. Cheers!
Virgin Bloody Mary with Shrimp
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato-based vegetable juice such as V8®
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or other hot sauce
- Basil Salt
- 4 cooked jumbo shrimp
- 4 celery stalks
- lemon wedges
- In a large pitcher, combine vegetable juice, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and sriracha. Stir well and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Spread basil salt on a small plate. Run a lemon wedge around the rims of 4 glasses, then dip the rims in the basil salt. Fill glasses with ice.
- Pour Bloody Mary mixture into glasses and garnish with shrimp, celery stalks, and lemon wedges.