Are you a fan of breakfast for dinner? Then you’re going to love this turkey sausage casserole made with either cauliflower or broccoli tots.
One night when I had nothing planned for dinner, I stumbled across a recipe for Tots and Sausage Casserole from Everyday Made Fresh. I suddenly remembered I had a bag of cauliflower tots and some turkey sausage in the freezer. Inspiration struck!
The resulting turkey sausage casserole made a perfect low-carb dinner and leftovers heated up beautifully in the microwave for breakfast the next morning.
Changes to the Recipe
I made a few changes to the original recipe:
- Swapped turkey sausage for pork sausage
- Reduced the amount of cheese
- Used half and half instead of a combination of milk and whipping cream
- Played with the seasonings a bit
If you want a bit more spice, feel free to use hot Italian turkey sausage.
Turkey Sausage Casserole with Veggie Tots
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 16 ounces frozen cauliflower or broccoli tots no need to thaw
- 1 cup shredded cheese I like a Mexican blend
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- If your sausage is in link form, remove the casings.
- In a medium skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, stirring to break up, until sausage is no longer pink. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 11- x 7-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the tots in the dish, then add the sausage, and cover the top with cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, garlic pepper, and dry mustard. Pour into the casserole dish.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.