This delicious sweet potato hash is so easy to make. Cook the potatoes in the microwave, add the ingredients to a skillet, and you’re done in 15 minutes or less!
For a lot of friends I know, one of the hardest parts about trying to eat healthier is finding simple recipes. Not everyone has advanced cooking skills, and a lot of people are just looking for easy-to-prepare dishes that will help them transition to a healthier lifestyle.
Whether you’re building your skills in the kitchen or simply looking for an easy and healthy side dish, this sweet potato hash is just what you need! It’s nutritious, delicious, and so simple to make.
In fact, all you have to do is throw the sweet potatoes in the microwave, chop a few veggies, then combine it all in a skillet. This hash can be ready in 15 minutes or less!
And the flavors from the smoky paprika and spicy, tangy pickled jalapeños are amazing. You’d never guess how easy this dish was to make.
If you don’t like spicy foods, you can always substitute additional bell pepper, but I would encourage you to give them a try. They’re a great contrast to the sweet potatoes!
How to make sweet potato hash
This easy recipe comes together in 6 simple steps and just 15 minutes.
Step 1: Add the sweet potatoes and 2 tablespoons of water to a microwave-save dish.
Step 2: Cover and microwave at 100% for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
Step 3: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, smoked paprika, and salt.
Step 4: Cook, stirring, until the sweet potatoes have browned, about 5 minutes.
Step 5: Add the pickled jalapeños and scallions, then cook for about 2 more minutes.
Step 6: Divide between 4 serving plates and garnish with fresh parsley.
That’s it! Once you taste the rich flavors, you’ll be amazed that it was so easy to throw together.
What to serve with this hash
This recipe makes a great side dish for so many meals!
It’s perfect alongside roasted or grilled meats like these marinated chicken breasts, spice-rubbed pork chops, or simple steaks. If your plate has a meat, a veggie, and potato hash, you have yourself a well-rounded meal.
It’s also great for breakfast! Serve with a poached or fried egg on top and you have yourself a delicious way to start the day.
The great news about potato hash is that it keeps and reheats very well! So you can make a big batch in advance to enjoy throughout the week.
Allow the sweet potato to fully cool, then store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can reheat in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove.
Other sweet potato recipes
Looking for more tasty dishes to make with sweet potato? Good news: the possibilities are endless! Here are a few of my favorite recipes that I think you’ll enjoy:
- Sweet Potato Noodles with Black Beans and Peppers
- Baked Sweet Potato Parsnip Latkes
- Gingered Sweet Potato Bisque
When you’ve tried this dish, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bell pepper (any color — chopped)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños (chopped)
- 5-6 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- Add the sweet potatoes and 2 tablespoons of water to a microwave-save dish.
- Cover and microwave at 100% for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Cook, stirring, until the sweet potatoes have browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pickled jalapeños and scallions, then cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Divide between 4 serving plates and garnish with fresh parsley.