Love oatmeal, but don’t have time for the fuss? Instead of microwaving a packet of instant oatmeal that’s loaded with sugar, try these Slow Cooker Oats with Apples and Almonds. As a bonus, cinnamon will be wafting through the air when you wake up! What a great way to start the day.
I enjoy oatmeal for breakfast, especially when I work out before lunchtime. I just find that I need some carbs a couple of hours before resistance training. Once the weather turns cold, Spiced Overnight Oats with Applesauce and Chia doesn’t do it for me anymore. I want something hot.
Enter these slow cooker oats. Similar to overnight oats, you prep the night before. When you get up, a warm breakfast is ready!
Notes on Slow Cooker Oats
- A thin layer of oats stuck to my slow cooker the first time I made this, so now I use cooking spray to make clean-up easier.
- Apples and firm pears work equally well in this recipe.
- Substitute walnuts or any other nuts you like if you aren’t an almond fan.
- If someone in the house doesn’t like nuts, leave them out and then sprinkle on individual servings.
Slow Cooker Oats with Apples and Almonds
- 1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups apples chopped and peeled (I used Gala)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine oats and water in slow cooker. Add apples, almonds, and cinnamon.
- Cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.