When I go to a restaurant, I’m likely to order an appetizer as my meal. It’s one way to control my portion size. When I saw this recipe in Diabetic Living, I first thought it would be a beautiful holiday starter. Then I realized that, paired with a salad, it would make a great lunch too.
This Pomegranate Cranberry Brie Bruschetta is tart and sweet, creamy and crunchy. The only tricky part to making it is extracting the pomegranate seeds (or arils) from the fruit. You can buy a fresh pomegranate and do it yourself. A couple of techniques for removing the seeds are in my post for Roasted Squash and Pomegranate Seed Salad with Maple Vinaigrette. You can also sometimes find fresh or frozen pomegranate arils if you’d rather have someone else extract the seeds for you.
- Watching sodium? Look for a low-sodium bread (or make your own) and use a smaller slice of brie.
- Gluten-free? Use a gluten-free baguette.
- Paleo? Use apple slices instead of bread and skip step 3. (Note I haven’t tried this, but I’m going to soon!)
Pomegranate Cranberry Brie Bruschetta
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries thawed if frozen
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pomegranate seeds arils, thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces whole-grain or gluten-free baguette sliced diagonally into 16 pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Brie cheese cut into 16 thin slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil thinly sliced
- Coarsely chop cranberries. Place in small bowl and add pomegranate seeds, sugar, orange zest, and a dash of salt. Cover and refrigerate until serving time (up to 3 days).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Take cranberry mixture out of refrigerator so it warms up a bit.
- Place bread slices on baking sheet and lightly brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle one side with pepper. Bake 4 minutes, flip, bake another 4 minutes or until both sides are lightly browned.
- Flip again and top each slice with Brie. Bake until cheese softens, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with cranberry mixture. Sprinkle with basil. Serve warm.