I decided to bulk it up by adding black beans and season it a little more with some chili-like spices and additional jalapeño peppers. Much better.
This salsa does work with chicken and fish, but it really shines with grilled pork tenderloin. You can also throw in some cooked shrimp and make it a one-dish portable lunch.
Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice, drained 1 can
- 14 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño chile pepper
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix pineapple, black beans, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapeño, scallion, and lime zest in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, salt, and chili powder.
- Add spice mixture to pineapple mixture and stir. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.