My husband’s natural penchant to chat led us to acquire 28 pounds of fresh, ripe peaches for $10 last week at the farmers’ market. Needless to say, I’ve been looking for peachy ideas and stumbled onto Peach Chia Jam made in the Instant Pot.
I’ve seen a lot of chia jam recipes before, mostly of the strawberry variety. I liked the idea of peach jam thickened with chia seeds because they are so darn good for you. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, fiber, calcium, and iron, chia seeds may well improve insulin sensitivity and reduce inflammation. Read these 11 proven benefits of chia seeds.
We’ve used chia seeds in smoothie bowls, overnight oats, and fruit tarts before, but I don’t think we’d ever made jam. I saw Plant Based Instant Pot’s Vanilla Maple Peach Chia Jam and decided to give it a Diabetic Foodie spin.
Can I Can or Freeze Chia Jam?
The recipe below is not formulated for safe canning. After you make it, store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to six months. Thaw the jam in the refrigerator before using.
Can I Make Peach Chia Jam without an Instant Pot?
Certainly! You just need to pay more attention when you cook the fruit on the stovetop. Try Gimme Some Oven’s technique using my ingredients below, adding the lemon juice and extracts along with the chia seeds.
Peach Chia Jam can be part of a diabetic-friendly breakfast, dessert, or a snack:
- Top these Cottage Cheese Pancakes from DiabetesStrong with a tablespoon or two.
- Add a dollop to plain Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
- Swirl it into your favorite smoothie.
Peach Chia Jam (No Added Sugar)
- 4 cups ripe peaches peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- In a 6-quart electric pressure cooker, stir together the peaches, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid and set it aside.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the peach mixture right in the pot. Stir in the chia seeds and hit Sauté. (Use the Sauté/Low setting if your electric pressure cooker has it.) Stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until the jam has reached the consistency you like. Note: splattering will be greatly reduced if you keep stirring.
- Cool to room temperature, then transfer the jam to a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.