Need a protein-packed breakfast in a hurry? Try this easy microwave egg scramble topped with salsa and cheddar cheese for a Mexican flair.
I work out of a home-based office, so I don’t usually need to worry about quick breakfasts. Unless, of course, I’m trying to get to my nephew/niece’s 8 a.m. soccer game on Saturday morning. Yawn.
I do frequently need easy meals that can be made in a hotel room equipped with a microwave and mini-refrigerator, however. Even though we generally stay somewhere boasting “free breakfast,” I’ve learned that “free” usually means “high-carb.” Instead of straying off my meal plan at breakfast (there will be plenty of time for that at lunch and dinner), I pick up a half-dozen eggs, a small container of milk, salsa, and cheese and make this microwave egg scramble each morning. Heck, if I’m in the room at lunchtime, it makes a great lunch too. Or, if I’m too exhausted at the end of the day to go out for dinner, guess what I eat?
You should know that I took some artistic license with the photo. When you cook the eggs as directed below, they will puff up beyond the rim of the mug and then deflate as soon as you remove them from the microwave. A sunken batch of eggs did not make for an appealing photo, so I made two batches and then combined them into one mug for photo purposes.
Do not, under any circumstances, forget to spray or somehow grease your mug before adding the eggs. Cooked egg stuck to a cup is not an easy clean-up task. Now if you have a really ugly mug you’d like to get rid of …
Mexican Microwave Egg Scramble
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Pinch Kosher salt optional
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salsa or Low-Sodium Easy Homemade Salsa
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese
- Generously spray a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug with cooking spray.
- Crack eggs into mug and add milk. Add salt (if desired) and pepper. Beat in a circular motion with a fork until well-blended.
- Microwave at 100% for 45 seconds, then stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds. (The eggs will puff up beyond the rim of the cup, then deflate.)
- Top with salsa and cheese.