After I’d finished cooking these Maple Brussels Sprouts, my first thought was “Burnt & Herby.” I found this hysterically funny because it reminded me of a certain pair of muppets on Sesame Street. The Grillmaster didn’t find the comment to be nearly as witty as I did.
My “burnt” remark was made after viewing the sprouts, not actually eating them. They didn’t taste burned at all, it was more of a caramelization effect. The coconut oil was another stroke of brilliance on my part – I absolutely loved how its sweetness balanced the earthy flavors of the herbs.
If you like Brussels sprouts, I think you’ll enjoy this version. It’s also a snap to prepare.
Maple Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh sage
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, cut side down, in a single layer in the skillet. Don’t move them for about 4 to 5 minutes, then season them with salt and pepper and toss in pan. Continue cooking until brussels sprouts are tender, another 3 to 4 minutes or so.
- Add maple syrup, parsley, chives and sage. Toss to coat. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Nutrition Info Per Serving