January should be dubbed Appetizer Month. There’s New Year’s, then college football bowl games, the NFL playoffs, and the Golden Globes. The Virtual Potluck gang thinks all are great occasions to whip out some fabulous munchies. And what better appetizer is there than guacamole? Maybe mango guacamole?
One of my favorite basic guacamole recipes is Alton Brown’s. I also like to experiment with other variations – I’ve made guacamole with cream cheese, guacamole with feta cheese and now I’ve tried guacamole with mango.
This recipe is spicy, smoky, sweet and creamy. I made a batch for the Grillmaster and myself and, when I went back the next day to use some in a quesadilla, it was gone.
“Where did you put the leftover guacamole?” I asked.
“You mean the stuff with the mangos?” the Grillmaster replied. “I used it on a sandwich.”
It must have been a sandwich of Dagwood proportions.
I hope you enjoy this guacamole as much as the Grillmaster did.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 whole jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 mango pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 2 avocados halved, pitted, peeled and mashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Assorted raw vegetables or pita chips for dipping
- Heat the olive oil in a small (preferably cast iron) skillet. Add the whole jalapeño and cook, turning often, until the skin is blistered all over, about 5 minutes. Cool, then discard the stem end and finely chop the pepper. (If you want less heat, remove the seeds too.)
- Place the chopped jalapeños in a medium bowl. Add the mango, cilantro, lime juice and onion. Stir in the avocado. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with raw vegetables or pita chips.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- It’s Easy Being Green Guacamole by Cookistry
- Winter Citrus Guacamole by Cooking with Books
- Bacon-Ranch Guacamole by Miss in the Kitchen
- Guacamole with Fennel & Green Apple by Foodhunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Pineapple Chipotle Mango Guacamole by Thyme in Our Kitchen
- Simple Guacamole by Farmgirl Gourmet
- Super Fresh Guacamole by 30AEATS