Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa) visited my hometown of Richmond, VA last week. She talked about her career, her television show, and her tips for throwing a great dinner party. I, of course, was compelled to purchase a signed copy of her latest cookbook, Make It Ahead.
Many recipes spoke to me, but this one for a winter slaw featuring kale and Brussels sprouts with a lemon vinaigrette practically leaped off the page. Ina made hers with radicchio too, which added nice color, but I didn’t feel like making a trip to the store and radicchio isn’t a favorite of mine anyway.
This makes a lot more dressing than you’ll use. Save the extra in your refrigerator and use it instead of bottled dressing on other salads or as a marinade for chicken.
Fun facts about Ina Garten
A few things I didn’t know about Ina Garten came out during her talk:
- She started her professional career as a nuclear budget analyst for the federal government.
- Even though she always appears calm, she’s truly a Type A personality.
- She will have a new cookbook out in October 2016 called Cooking for Jeffrey.
- At her very first party, she served omelets that were individually made for 20 people. She doesn’t recommend this idea.
- She made $85 the first day Barefoot Contessa was open under her ownership.
- She resisted social media for a very long time. Now she’s addicted to Instagram
- Oatmeal and coffee is her breakfast of choice almost every single day.
- When she’s alone for a meal, she usually eats soup.
- Her least favorite culinary trend is the use of foams.
I hope you enjoy my take on Ina’s Winter Slaw.
Kale and Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Cranberries
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SLAW
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries unsweetened
- 6 ounces kale center rib removed, thinly sliced (I used the Tuscan or Lacinato variety)
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 ounce chunk of Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
MAKE THE DRESSING
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Add olive oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
MAKE THE SALAD
- Add the cranberries to the dressing and let them soak for 5 to 10 minutes to plump up.
- Place the kale and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cranberries from the dressing and add them to bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dressing and toss. If you want additional dressing, add more a tablespoon at a time until you get the ratio you want. Toss well.
- Shave the cheese into large shards using a vegetable peeler. (Shaving is easier if you place a triangular wedge of cheese on its side.) Divide salad among 4 plates and top each with cheese.