Running out of quick and easy diabetic-friendly snack ideas? Make up a big batch of these herbed nuts, store them in single-serving plastic bags, and you’ll have a healthy snack at your fingertips. They are great to munch on during a road trip too. Any who doesn’t need healthy snack ideas as vacation season heats up?
Most roasted nuts are candied, so they contain sugar in some form. This savory recipe is naturally sugar-free, so there’s no maple syrup, honey, or agave to be found. Instead, you’ll taste salty cheese and hints of basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. The Worcestershire sauce adds a vinegary punch of onion too.
This recipe is easy to make – mix everything in a bowl, pour it onto a baking sheet, and place in the oven. You’ll need to remember to stir the nuts a couple of times, but that’s as tough as it gets.
WARNING: These herbed nuts are addictive.
Like herbed nuts? You might also enjoy Spiced Pistachios with Thyme, Sesame, and Lemon.
Italian Herbed Nuts
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon dried basil plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic pepper or garlic powder
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together ghee (or butter), Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic pepper.
- Add walnuts, cashews, and almonds. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spread nuts in pan. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. (Be careful not to rip the foil when you stir the second time.)