Lettuce wraps are a great low-carb dinner or a perfect snack and they come together quickly when you cook the meat in a pressure cooker. Your whole family will love these colorful Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
When I was testing recipes for The Diabetes Cookbook for Electric Pressure Cookers, I craved crunch. Let’s face it, many Instant Pot meals don’t have a lot of texture. Then I remembered my recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Homemade Hoisin Sauce and realized the chicken would cook beautifully in an Instant Pot. Crunch problem solved!
Watching sodium? Asian food poses all kinds of problems for those of you watching your sodium intake, primarily because of the soy sauce. To handle this, I recommend making your own (low-sodium) bone broth and then using it as a substitute for some of the soy sauce.
Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Instant Pot)
For the Chicken
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup low-sodium gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 scallions both white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast about 1 pound
For the Lettuce Wraps
- large lettuce leaves preferably Bibb
- 1 cup broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews toasted
To Make the Chicken
- In the electric pressure cooker, whisk together the peanut oil, tamari, honey, rice vinegar, Sriracha, garlic, ginger, and broth. Stir in the white parts of the scallions.
- Place the chicken breast in the sauce, meat-side down.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking is complete, hit Cancel and quick release the pressure.
- Once the pin drops, unlock and remove the lid.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken breast to a cutting board. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin, shred the chicken, and return it to the pot. Let the chicken soak in the sauce for at least 5 minutes.
To Make the Lettuce Wraps
- Spoon some of the chicken and sauce into the lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle with the broccoli slaw, the green parts of the scallions, and the cashews.
- Serve immediately.