When it comes to crunchy low-carb snacks, you can’t beat celery stuffed with something creamy. Take Nacho Celery Sticks, for example. Or maybe celery dipped into Artichoke Hummus. For Halloween, we’re using flavored cream cheese and thin strips of deli turkey to make celery-based mummies.
While this recipe doesn’t require a ton of ingredients, it does require patience and practice. Don’t attempt them on a day when you’re feeling extremely stressed out. Make sure your turkey is shaved as thinly as possible before you start. Trust me, it will save you some frustration. And, while I love cooking with my 4-year-old niece, I’m really glad I didn’t attempt making these mummies with her. She did enjoy eating them, though.
Halloween Mummy Celery Sticks
- 1 tablespoon Penzey's Fox Point seasoning or other herb, onion, and garlic blend
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 ounces shaved or thinly sliced deli turkey breast
- 10 dried cranberries craisins
- 20 celery stalks cut into 3-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine seasoning and water. Add cream cheese and mix well.
- Cut turkey into narrow strips that are just a little bit wider than your celery sticks.
- Cut cranberries into small eye-sized pieces, about 4 per cranberry.
- Place cream cheese mixture into a zipper-top plastic bag and snip off one corner. Pipe into each celery stick.
- Criss-cross turkey strips on top of cream cheese. Trim any edges that overhang. Use a small, flat spatula to tuck in the sides.
- Add cranberry "eyes."