This week, we’re putting the spotlight on side dishes. First up is cumin-roasted carrots that go especially well with Indian-inspired main courses.
These carrots are incredibly easy to prepare, yet still have great flavor. All you need to do is peel and chop some carrots, toss them with olive oil, cumin seeds, and salt, then spread them in a pan and pop them in the oven. You’ll get some nice caramelization without using a bit of sugar.
If you’d like to serve these cumin-roasted carrots with Quick & Easy Chicken Masala, you can roast the chicken and the carrots simultaneously. Put the chicken in the oven first (top rack), prep the carrots, and then add them to the oven (bottom rack). Everything will be ready at roughly the same time. Serve with Cucumber Raita.
This dish is very low in Cholesterol and is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese. If you are watching your Sodium intake, reduce the amount of salt.
- 8 large carrots peeled, cut on diagonal into ½-inch thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, olive oil, cumin seeds and salt. Toss to coat well. Spread in single layer on baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes, then turn carrots over. Roast for another 20 minutes or so, until the carrots are tender and lightly caramelized.