Too much stuff in your refrigerator and freezer? Make this Corn Tomato Avocado Salad and use up some tomatoes, avocados, lime, cilantro, and frozen corn.
My freezer, pantry, and refrigerator overfloweth, so I’ve declared this week to be Eat Without Shopping Week. To kick things off, I threw together this salad. It’s made with fresh, local tomatoes I got at the farmers’ market, an avocado I had left over after making avocado quesadillas for my visiting sister-in-law last weekend, and some frozen corn. The salad would have been much, much better with fresh corn kernels, but this is an exercise in getting rid of stuff, after all.
The result? A fantastic, lettuce-free, Corn Tomato Avocado Salad sporting a cilantro-lime vinaigrette. You can even make it a few hours ahead of time if you’d like. (I’d wait until just before serving to add the avocado, however.)
If you like Corn Tomato Avocado Salad…
If you like this dish, you might enjoy these other recipes too:
- Summer Corn Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Barley Salad with Black Beans, Avocado, and Corn
- Easy Zucchini Corn Sauté
Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SALAD
- 3 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes halved (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium avocados
MAKE THE DRESSING
- In a blender, combine the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, zest, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Process until smooth.
MAKE THE SALAD
- If you want to serve the salad right away, dice the avocados. In a large bowl, gently toss the corn, tomatoes, avocado, and dressing. Let the salad sit for 15 minutes, then gently toss again and serve.
- If you want to serve the salad later, gently toss the corn, tomatoes, and dressing in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. When you're ready to serve, dice the avocados and gently mix them with the salad. Serve immediately.