Do you miss Greek-spiced chicken that’s drizzled in creamy tzatziki and wrapped in pita bread? Try this Chicken Souvlaki Salad as a lower-carb alternative.
Whenever I’m in the mood for a sandwich or sub, I make it into a salad. See my recipe for Italian Sub Salad, for example. You get the flavors you’re craving without all of the carbs. Most sandwich shops and burrito places will also turn their creations into salads if you ask. (You may not be able to eat all of what they serve you, but that’s a different issue.)
Tips for Making Chicken Souvlaki Salad
- You can grill or stir-fry the chicken. Grill pans can be a pain to clean, but the brown color and grill marks are worth it to me.
- If you want some crunch, serve this salad with a few multigrain pita chips. Four chips will add about 9g carb.
- Are you watching sodium? You might want to use less kosher salt and/or feta cheese.
- If you haven’t ventured into the wonderful world of making your own yogurt, use any plain store-bought yogurt. I prefer regular to Greek because the dressing turns out a bit thinner. If you only have Greek, use it and dilute the dressing with a tablespoon or so of water.
- The next time you make Grilled Marinated Chicken Breasts, cook extra and then use leftovers in this salad for a quick meal. For a more authentic souvlaki flavor, substitute oregano for the rosemary.
- Make extra dressing to use on salads later in the week.
Chicken Souvlaki Salad
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Easy Instant Pot Yogurt
- 2 cups romaine lettuce torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cocktail or cherry tomatoes quartered or halved
- 1/4 English (hot house) cucumber thickly sliced, then slices quartered
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ounces multigrain pita chips optional
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, lemon zest, 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan, skillet, or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and then the chicken. Grill or stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a 1-cup measuring cup or small bowl, combine the yogurt, remaining 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and a few grinds of pepper. If the dressing is too thick for your liking, dilute it with a tablespoon or so of water.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with a few spoonfuls of the dressing. Divide between two serving bowls and top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta cheese. Drizzle with additional dressing and serve with pita chips, if desired.