Need a quick meal for a busy night? Make the homemade hoisin sauce ahead of time and these Chicken Lettuce Wraps will be on your table in a flash.
When my nephews were younger, we made them Sunny Anderson’s Asian Lettuce Wraps for dinner one night. They were a hit with the kids, but I found the sauce to be way too sweet.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps are Born
Wanting to create a different version of lettuce wraps, I decided to use shredded cooked chicken instead of ground beef and to try making my own low-carb hoisin sauce. I also went with cashews instead of peanuts and added some veggies. Two chicken lettuce wraps plus a couple of tablespoons of the hoisin sauce has less than 10g carbs if you’re counting.
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken if you don’t have any leftovers.
- Make the hoisin sauce ahead of time. Pull it out of the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter to warm up a bit while you prepare everything else.
- If you don’t have broccoli slaw, use whatever bits of raw vegetables you have. Shredded cabbage or carrots and even thinly sliced bell peppers work well.
- Save any extra hoisin sauce to use in another Asian recipe like Kung Pao Chicken with Cashews or Shirataki Noodles with Shrimp.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1 cup broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage
- Large lettuce leaves preferably Bibb
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- Homemade Hoisin Sauce recipe below
- Spoon chicken and broccoli slaw into lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle with scallions and cashews.
- Drizzle with hoisin sauce.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic from a jar or tube is fine
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger from a jar or tube is fine
- 1/3 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and sriracha in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add soy sauce mixture and whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking often, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.