This recipe for broiled salmon with onions and marmalade over greens is easy, healthy, and delicious! It’s also paleo, gluten-free, and full of healthy fats.
When it comes to easy weeknight dinners, salmon is one of my favorite ingredients. It’s easy to make, full of healthy fats, and goes well with so many flavors.
This recipe for broiled salmon with onion marmalade over greens is a great example! Prep can be done in minutes, and everything cooks right in the oven. No stove or grill required.
Despite the quick prep, this dish turns out really lovely! You could just as easily make it for a dinner party as you could for an easy weeknight dinner.
So whether you want something quick for yourself, or you’re looking to make a nice dinner for friends or family, this tasty salmon is always a good idea!
How to make broiled salmon with onion marmalade over greens
This entire dish comes together in just 7 easy steps with only 6 ingredients plus salt and pepper. It couldn’t be simpler!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, combine the onions, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Step 3: Spoon the mixture onto a large piece of foil, then fold into a packet and seal tightly.
Step 4: Place the foil packet on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Remove from the oven.
Step 4: Preheat the broiler.
Step 5: Place the salmon fillets on a broiler pan, skin-side down. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 6: Broil the salmon fillets 5 to 6 inches from heat for 8 to 9 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Step 7: Arrange the greens on 4 serving bowls or plates, then top each with a piece of salmon. Drizzle with lemon juice and add the onions.
Dig in and enjoy!
Variations for this recipe
Not only is this dish simple to make, but it’s also very flexible.
If you’d rather grill the salmon than broil it, feel free. Want to cook your onions on the stove instead of in the oven? Knock yourself out.
You can also substitute greens based on your preferences (or simply what you have on hand!) Feel free to swap out the arugula for spinach or another leafy green.
Don’t hesitate to customize this dish based on personal preference or convenience!
Only planning to eat two of the four servings? I recommend pulling some of the salmon out of the oven early so you can easily reheat it later without overcooking it.
After the salmon has been baking for five minutes or so, remove the servings you’re planning to save for later. Allow them to cool, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
That way, when you reheat the leftovers, you’ll still have perfectly-cooked salmon!
Other healthy salmon recipes
Salmon is such a delicious, healthy protein. And it’s pretty simple to make, too! If you’re looking for more salmon recipe inspiration, here are a few of my favorites I know you’ll enjoy:
- Baked Salmon with Roasted Vegetables
- Salmon Tacos with Kale, Collards and Lemon-Tomato Vinaigrette
- Salmon Meatballs with Quinoa
When you’ve tried this dish, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Broiled Salmon with Onion Marmalade over Greens
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin — plus more for brushing the salmon)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound salmon fillet (cut into 4 pieces)
- 5 ounces fresh greens
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onions, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture onto a large piece of foil, then fold into a packet and seal tightly.
- Place the foil packet on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Remove from the oven.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the salmon fillets on a broiler pan, skin-side down. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil the salmon fillets 5 to 6 inches from heat for 8 to 9 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Arrange the greens on 4 serving bowls or plates, then top each with a piece of salmon. Drizzle with lemon juice and add the onions.