Ready for your July 4th celebration? If you’re anything like me, you can’t believe that it’s possibly July already. It seems like just yesterday we were kicking off summer with Memorial Day weekend. And the day before that, it was Christmas.
Independence Day is going to be special this year. Fireworks displays haven’t been allowed here on Hatteras Island since the Ocracoke Island tragedy in 2009 that killed four people.
In 2012, fireworks are back! Once again, we’ll be able to sit on our deck, swat mosquitoes and “oooh” and “ahhh” over the fireworks emanating from the Avon Pier. You do know the correct sequence for responding to fireworks, right? The first one gets an “oooh,” the second gets an “ahhh” and the third gets a “yay.” Repeat.
When the #SundaySupper group decided to celebrate 4th of July together, I knew right away that I wanted to make a healthy salad that stands up well to hot outdoor temperatures. This eliminated anything with mayonnaise (not that I’m a huge mayo fan anyway).
Since I currently have an abundance of green beans, I thought I’d try this salad with black beans, pickled onions and red peppers, and a briny mustard vinaigrette. It was the perfect picnic food. Leftovers were even better, served with a slice of piping hot cornbread. What is it about beans and cornbread together anyway?
What’s on the menu for 4th of July at your house?
Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds crushed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 pound string beans trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 14 1/2 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon Homemade White Wine Mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
BRINE THE VEGETABLES
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, half of the lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, sugar, coriander, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Place the bell pepper and onion in a bowl; pour in the brine. Let cool to room temperature.
PREPARE THE BEANS
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a little bit of salt and the string beans. Cook until tender, but still crisp (about 5 minutes).
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Place string beans and black beans in a large bowl.
MAKE THE DRESSING
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the brine that the vegetables are soaking in and place in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining lemon juice and the mustard.
- While whisking continuously, add the olive oil in a steady stream. Continue whisking until smooth.
PUT IT TOGETHER
- Drain the peppers and onions. Add the vegetables and dressing to the bowl with the beans. Toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
Here are the recipes that will be featured by the group of bloggers participating in today’s #SundaySupper. Martin from ENOFYLZ will also be sharing some fabulous wine pairings.
- Tender & Sweet Crockpot Brisket Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Patriotic Chicken Kabobs Big Bear’s Wife
- Firecracker Salmon Rolls Comfy Cuisine
- Red, White & Blue Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals
- Baby Back Ribs with Balsamic Peach BBQ Sauce Damn Delicious
- Bubblin’ Brown Sugar Baby Back Ribs In The Kitchen With KP
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Beef Mrs. Mama Hen
- Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad with Perfectly Grilled Chicken and Potatoes Daddy Knows Less
- Texas Smoked Brisket Doggie At The Dinner Table
- Grilled Chicken in a Blueberry BBQ Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken Burgers with Curried Cabbage Slaw-Indian Soni’s Food for Thought
- Finger Foods for the Fourth Pescetarian Journal
- Grilled Pork Satays with Peanut Sauce Tora’s Real Food
Salads and Sides:
- Southwestern Corn and Black Bean Salad Supper for a Steal
- Roasted/Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan Katherine Martinelli
- Patriotic Ranch Potato Salad The Meltaways
- Roasted Red Pepper & White Bean Salad Are you hungry
- Texas-Creole Crawfish Potato Salad The Weekend gourmet
- Spicy Italian Peppers in Sauce What Smells so Good?
- Sangria Fruit Salad Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Stuffed Black Olive Cookistry
- Mexican Quinoa Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Low Fat Pasta Salad Basic and Delicious
- Bean Salad with Pickled Vegetables Diabetic Foodie
- Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer Family Foodie
- Red White & Blueberry Ricotta Cupcakes Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Red Velvet Brownies Magnolia Days
- S’mores Pastries Daily Dish Recipes
- Red, White and Blue Firecracker Cupcakes Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel-filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream The Messy Baker
- Strawberry and Cream Cake Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- White Chocolate Berry Tart Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Red White and Blue Coconut Rum Cake Family Spice
- Individual Red White and Blue Triffles Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Mini Carrot Cakes Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Plum and Apple Pies Cositas Bonitas