This high-fiber barley salad with black beans, avocado, and corn is perfect for meal prep! Store in the refrigerator for a quick, healthy dish any time.
When it comes to lunch, I’m all about meal prepping. Whether I’m home or on the go, I rarely have the time to stop what I’m doing and make a full meal.
That’s why this barley salad with black beans, avocado, and corn is a perfect option for me! I can make it in advance to store in the refrigerator, then grab myself a serving any time.
This cold salad is packed with vibrant, citrus flavor, and the high-fiber ingredients are great for filling you up without weighing you down.
If you find yourself struggling with what to make for lunch every day, give this recipe a try. It may become one of your new favorites!
How to make barley salad with black beans, avocado, and corn
Not only is this recipe great for meal prepping, but it’s also so easy to make!
Step 1: Whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper until well-combined.
Step 2: While continuing to whisk, add the olive oil in a steady stream.
Step 3: In a large bowl, gently mix together the barley, black beans, corn, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro.
Step 4: Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Step 5: Before serving, add the avocado and garnish with lime wedges.
That’s it! Whether you’re meal-prepping or eating this dish right away, it’s so easy to throw together any time.
Variations for this recipe
Another thing I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can customize it based on your preferences, or try a different version each time you make it!
Want to cut back on the carbs? You can reduce the amount of beans, corn or barley you use, or simply reduce your portion size.
Looking for something gluten-free? Swap out the barley for cooked brown rice or another gluten-free grain.
Enjoy a little heat? Some minced jalapeño would be a great addition to this recipe!
Want to substitute the black beans with another legume? Go for it!
Short on time? Use a bottled citrus-based vinaigrette and skip the steps for making your own dressing.
Feel free to customize this recipe however you like!
Just like any good meal-prep recipe, this dish keeps very well! In fact, I think the textures and flavors get even better with time.
If you plan to store this salad, don’t add the avocado. Mix the other ingredients with the dressing, then cover and refrigerate for up to a week.
When you’re ready to enjoy, add the avocado and serve with lime wedges.
Other easy salad recipes
Salads are one of my go-to’s for easy lunches. They’re quick to prep, and you can have so much fun with healthy ingredients.
Here are a few of my favorite recipes I know you’ll enjoy:
- Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese & Basil
- Pesto Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Chicken Curry Salad (Instant Pot)
When you’ve tried this dish, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Barley Salad with Black Beans, Avocado, and Corn
- Juice of 1 orange (about a ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or fruit-flavored white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic (finely minced)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin — can use citrus-flavored)
- 1 cup cooked barley (cooled)
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 small red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 medium avocado (pitted, peeled, and chopped)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper until well-combined.
- While continuing to whisk, add the olive oil in a steady stream.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the barley, black beans, corn, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Before serving, add the avocado and garnish with lime wedges.