When I think of Spring, I think of asparagus. When I think of asparagus, I think of these salty, crunchy, creamy bundles of joy that I’ve been making almost as long as I’ve been cooking. You will love these asparagus prosciutto bundles too, especially when you find out how easy they are to prepare.
Need an impressive brunch dish? How about a great appetizer that is perfect served warm or at room temperature? Maybe a tasty snack? These asparagus prosciutto bundles have got you covered.
If you can’t find the light cream cheese with garden vegetables, buy plain light cream cheese and mix in some garlic and shallots or other veggies. Just be sure to mince them very finely or you’ll have difficulty rolling up the bundles.
If your asparagus is thicker, you may want only two spears per bundle. If you buy “steakhouse” style asparagus, you may only need one.
What food makes you think of Spring?
Asparagus Prosciutto Bundles
- 36 spears thin asparagus
- 6 slices prosciutto cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon light cream cheese with garden vegetables
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. For each spear of asparagus, take one end in each hand. Bend until the end snaps off. (The stalk will break exactly where the end starts to get woody.) Discard end. Rinse asparagus. When water is boiling, drop in asparagus and cook until just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each half slice of prosciutto. Sprinkle with pepper. Roll prosciutto around 3 asparagus spears and place in single layer (bundles should not touch) on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until bundles have warmed through.