I’m taking a break from recipes today to focus on something equally important: making my voice heard to decision-makers on Capitol Hill. I’m in Washington, DC attending the American Diabetes Association’s Call to Congress.
Topics for Discussion
Yesterday we learned about public policy advocacy. Today we are meeting with our members of Congress to discuss:
- Making insulin affordable. Please sign the ADA’s petition if you haven’t already.
- Protecting health insurance for people with and at risk for diabetes.
- Increasing federal funding for diabetes research and programs
My Call to Congress Agenda
My day looks like this today (subject to change). I’m guessing I’ll be meeting with staffers rather than the actual members of Congress giving everything that’s going on inside the Beltway right now.
- 10:30 a.m. – Sen. Mark Warner (VA)
- 1:30 p.m. – Rep. Scott Taylor (VA-02)
- 2:30 p.m. – Rep. Donald McEachin (VA-04)
- 3:30 p.m. – Rep. Dave Brat (VA-07)
- 4:30 p.m. – Sen. Tim Kaine (VA)
Tomorrow, all of the advocates attending the Call to Congress will get together and learn how to use the momentum we’ve gained to continue our advocacy efforts throughout the year in our own communities.
Check back next week for more details about my meetings!