I’ve been making this black bean dip for more than 15 years and can’t believe I haven’t posted the recipe before now. You can make it ahead of time, so it’s the perfect appetizer if you’re having friends over. I like to take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before serving.
This dip is gluten-free and is dairy-free if you skip the sour cream topping. Leave out the turkey bacon and sour cream and it will please your vegan friends too.
If you have any dip leftover, try it for a boost of flavor in a wrap or taco. Don’t let it migrate to the back of your refrigerator and sit for a couple of weeks. Trust me on this.
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, stem removed, diced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- freshly squeezed lime juice (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium until browned and crisp, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels, then crumble. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in same skillet, then add onion and bell pepper. Sauté until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and oregano. Add beans (undrained) and chipotle pepper. When the mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool.
- Transfer about a cup of the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth. Return to pan, season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Transfer to bowl or airtight container and cover. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. (Refrigerate bacon separately.)
- When ready to serve, stir half of bacon into dip and sprinkle other half on top. If desired, mix sour cream with a squeeze of lime juice and dollop on top and/or garnish with cilantro.
You can also use this dip as a spread for sandwiches, wraps, or tacos.
Nutritional information does not include sour cream or dippers.
Need a vegan version? Skip the turkey bacon and sour cream.
If you don't have immediate plans for the rest of the chipotle chiles in the can, freeze them for later use.