Need a new twist for a wine and cheese party? Try honey-thyme marinated cheddar cheese.
When I turned the big 4-0, three girlfriends and I went to the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa in Pennsylvania. We spent three days catching up with each other’s lives and indulging in spa treatments. I remember I signed up for a hydrotherapy service, thinking it would be me in a treatment room by myself with lots of steamy water. I didn’t realize a man would be attending to me while I was in a tub and that I’d need a bathing suit. Guess what? I didn’t pack a bathing suit. Fortunately, one of my friends did. I wore it, but let’s just say it didn’t quite cover everything I wanted covered. That wasn’t the most relaxing spa treatment ever, but it is the one I remember most vividly.
What stands out the most about that trip was Oscar night. The four of us put on our luxurious hotel robes, grabbed a couple (or three) bottles of wine, and gathered in Joanne’s room. We proceeded to snack, drink, and make fun of gowns and make-up for the rest of the evening.
We had some cheese at our impromptu party – always-prepared Ann brought some along, of course. I wish I had known about marinated cheese back then. It would have been the perfect snack to go with our wine. Remember that this coming weekend, whether you’re attending an Oscar party or watching at home in your bathrobe.
- 8 ounce block of extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into half-inch cubes
- 4 to 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- Place cheese and thyme sprigs in a small jar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, salt, and red pepper.
- Pour olive oil mixture over cheese in jar. Turn jar upside down a few times to moisten all of the cheese.
- Marinate at least 30 minutes at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.