Need a great fall breakfast that is grain-free? How about an apple hash with earthy sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts plus tart cranberries?
Original Recipe and My Changes
First came Running to the Kitchen’s Brussels Sprouts, Pumpkin & Apple Hash recipe. Then I made a few changes based on ingredients I had on hand:
- Substituted turkey bacon for bacon
- Swapped 2 cups of chopped sweet potatoes for the pumpkin or butternut squash
- Combined one sweet and one tart apple
- Reduced the amount of dried cranberries to 1/4 cup
- Used regular seasoned rice vinegar instead of the balsamic blend
- Added a poached egg to the top of each serving.
As comforting as this hash was for breakfast, it would also make a tasty Thanksgiving side dish (without the egg, of course).
Make it vegan or vegetarian: Omit the bacon/turkey bacon.
Too many carbs? If you’d like to reduce the carbs in this dish, cut back on the amount of sweet potatoes, apples, and/or cranberries. You could also use unsweetened dried cranberries, but they will be very tart!
Makes 4 servings
Per serving (DF version): 348 calories, 14g fat (3g sat), 219mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 47g carb, 10g fiber, 23g sugar, 13g protein