In a breakfast rut? I was. Then I saw this Serious Eats recipe for Baked Eggs with Butternut Squash and Kale. The CompostMaster had just picked a couple of small squash from our garden and we had bought some Toscano kale at the farmers’ market. I had all of the other ingredients except for the jalapeño.
Changes I Made to the Original Baked Eggs with Butternut Squash and Kale Recipe
I made a few modifications to the dish (click link above photo to see recipe):
- The recipe says it makes 2 to 3 servings, but I halved it for two people and had leftovers. I used an 8-inch skillet instead of a 12-inch.
- I used red bell pepper instead of the jalapeño because it’s what I had available.
- I forgot to halve the amount of dried red chile flakes and our version made the CompostMaster’s head sweat. It was right on the edge of being too spicy.
- I used 3 eggs.
- I skipped the avocado mainly because I forgot about it.
This was the perfect fall Sunday brunch dish. How often can you say before lunchtime that you’ve already had leafy greens and vegetables?
Other Butternut Squash Recipes
Like butternut squash? Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy:
- Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Carrots
- Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
- Butternut Squash Posole
- Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage
Makes 3 servings
Per serving (includes avocado): 324 calories, 18g fat (4g sat), 217mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 31g carb, 8g fiber, 4g sugar, 14g protein