When I think about movies and food, I can’t help but remember one of my favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger lines:
“You should not drink and bake.”
I always thought this was from Commando, but it was actually from Raw Deal. (Yes, I think I’ve seen all of the Arnold movies so many times they blur together.)
When I learned that the Sunday Supper gang would be celebrating movie-inspired recipes today, I really, really wanted to bake a chocolate cake while drinking. (I was going to skip the part where the cake gets heaved onto the kitchen cabinet.) But, given that cake and alcohol really aren’t diabetic-friendly, I decided to go in another direction.
The Grillmaster and I recently moved from the Outer Banks of North Carolina to the Chapel Hill area. Nearby there is a wonderful independent bookstore, McIntyre’s Books. While browsing their fiction offerings, I came across Fannie Flagg’s Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café.
I immediately remembered the most interesting take on fried green tomatoes I’ve ever had, at an amazing restaurant in Asheville, NC called the Tupelo Honey Café. They serve their fried green tomatoes over creamy grits with goat cheese and basil. The grits actually outshine the tomatoes.
I reduced the fat and sodium in the original recipe, but these grits are still mouth-watering. Rent yourself a copy of Fried Green Tomatoes and enjoy these grits with Mama.Mommy.Mom’s Not-So-Fried Green Tomatoes.
Goat Cheese Basil Grits
Adapted from Honey Tupelo Cafe Cookbook by Elizabeth Sims with Chef Brian Sonoskus
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1-1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
2 tablespoons fat-free half and half
3 ounces goat cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
In a heavy, deep saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the butter and slowly whisk in the grits in a steady stream. Bring the mixture back to a boil.
Stir in the half and half, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is creamy and thick.
Remove from heat and stir in the goat cheese until it melts and is well-incorporated. Mix in some of the basil and garnish with the rest.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 250 calories, 6g fat (4g sat), 12mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 40g carb, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 8g protein
Nutritional Analysis: These grits are low in Cholesterol and are a good source of Folate. (Source: nutritiondata.com)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog