Did you see the Diabetes Daily article about the health benefits of forbidden rice ? If you’re looking for recipes, this Orange Pecan Black Rice is a winner.
Ina Garten, aka Barefoot Contessa, is one of my favorite celebrity chefs. She loves to cook with fresh, local ingredients and she’s always so … calm. Nothing flusters this woman. I like to think I’m relaxed in the kitchen, but Ina takes it to a level where I’m not qualified to play.
Ina introduced me to celery root with her comforting Mashed Potatoes with Celery Root and Apples . She taught me a great way to make meatballs for Italian Wedding Soup . Now she’s introduced me to black rice, though inadvertently.
The Birth of Orange Pecan Black Rice
Ina’s original recipe in Back to Basics  (affiliate link) was for Orange Pecan Wild Rice. After scanning my giant pantry box o’ grains, the closest thing I could find was a blend of black and mahogany rice. Let’s see … take off my comfy sweats and drive to the store or use what I already have? Channeling Ina’s calmness, I chose the latter. Orange Pecan Black Rice was born.
The only other significant change I made to the recipe was to skip the two tablespoons of butter (half was cooked with the rice and the other was stirred into the warm rice after it was cooked). I added a teaspoon of olive oil instead. Just so you know, two tablespoons of butter has 200 calories and 22g of fat, 14g of which are saturated. One teaspoon of olive oil has 40 calories and 5g of fat, only 1g of which is saturated. You’re welcome.
I made this dish just before lunch, took a few photos and left it on the counter. When I returned to the kitchen an hour later, half of the rice was gone. I looked at the bowl, then at the Grillmaster.
“I’ve had three servings already,” he said sheepishly. “It’s really, really good.”
- 1 cup Black Japonica rice (blend of medium-grain black rice and short-grain mahogany rice) or black "forbidden" rice
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved lengthwise
- 2 scallions, sliced (white and green parts)
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (preferably fresh-squeezed)
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place rice and chicken stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir, then cover and simmer for 50 minutes. Remove from heat, still covered, and let steam for 10 minutes. (Note: You can also use a rice cooker or steamer, but you may need to reduce the amount of chicken stock.)
- Fluff rice in large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add grapes, scallions, pecans, orange zest, and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
The #SundaySupper  gang will be sharing Favorite Celebrity Chef Inspired recipes all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest  and Instagram on Sunday, December 2, 2012. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtag #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Tammi of Momma’s Meals  for hosting this event.
Starters or Snacks :
- Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog  – Oyster and Brie Soup and Wine Pairings
- Linda at The Urban Mrs.  – Inspired by Bobby Flay, Lobster Chowder with Roasted Corn Salsa
- Erin from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts  – Rachael Ray’s Cinnamon Popcorn
- Cindy over at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings  – Jamie Oliver’s Bread and Tomato Soup
- Jeff at The Catholic Foodie  – Drop Biscuits – Breakfast with Chef John Besh
- Renee over at Kudos Kitchen By Renee  – Giada De Laurentiis’ Garlic Toasts With Red Pepper Aioli
The Main Dish:
- Sheila at Cooking Underwriter  – Paula Deen’s Chicken in a Crock Pot w/ Sauerkraut and Apples
- Laura over at Small Wallet Big Appetite  – Martin Yan’s Beef Chow Fun
- Sarah over at Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends  – Michael Symon’s Lola burger with crab tater tots
- Susan at The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen  – Ina Garten’s Baked Shrimp Scampi
- Tammi at Momma’s Meals  – Lee Drummond’s Sloppy Joe’s
- Lane over at Supper for a Steal  – Bobby Flay’s Rosemary Bricked Chicken
- Tara from Noshing with the Nolands  – Michael Symon’s Pork and Apple Scallopini
- Shannon at Country Girl in the Village  – Simple Red Sauce over Rigatoni. Inspired by, Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos
- Kris over at In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene  – Rachael Ray’s Muffin Tin Meatloaf
- Nicole from The Daily Dish Recipes  – Paula Deen’s Slow Cooker Pulled Pickled Pork Sandwiches
- Becca from It’s Yummilicious  – Ina Garten’s Grown Up Mac & Cheese
- Alice at Hip Foodie Mom  – Sunday Pot Roast with Risotto Cakes from Kelsey Nixon
- Jen over at Juanita’s Cocina  – The Neely’s White Turkey Chili
- Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips  – Crockpot Beef Pot Roast with Mushrooms inspired by Giada DeLaurentiis
- Isabel at Family Foodie  – Polenta with Garlicky Shrimp inspired by Chef Todd English
- Wendy from The Weekend Gourmet  – Shrimp Penne in Pesto Cream Sauce, From Emeril Lagasse
- Bobbi over at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen  – Cheesy Poblano Chicken
- Patti at Comfy Cuisine  – Tyler Florence’s Chicken Francese
- Roxanne over at The Roxx Box  – Jambalaya Pasta with Penne, Chicken, Shrimp and Andouille
- Sue from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz  – Rachael Ray’s Spicy Corn Chowdah Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Jamie at Mama Mommy Mom  – Penne with Asparagus, Smoked Gouda and Prosciutto. Adapted from, Giada De Laurentiis’
- Tora over at Tora’s Real Food  – Pork and beans with Alton Brown’s pickled pork
- Elisabeth over at The Hand That Rocks The Ladle  – Emeril’s New Orleans Style Red Beans & Rice
- Megan from I Run For Wine  – Curtis Stone’s Acorn Squash Roasted with Thyme
- Sandi over at Midlife Road Trip – Gabriele Corcos’s Gnocchi di Patate
- Shelby at Diabetic Foodie  – Orange Pecan Black Rice, adapted from Ina Garten
- Katie from She likes Ruffles, He likes Truffles  – Chef Fabio Viviani’s Spinach and Artichoke Risotto
- Renee over at Magnolia Days  – Brownie Tart
- Connie at The Foodie Army Wife – Inspired by Ree Drummond – Scrumptious Apple Coffee Cake
- Paula over at Vintage Kitchen Notes  – Bill Granger´s Cherry Tart
- Pam from The Meltaways  – Savannah Sheet Cake
- Katy over at Happy Baking Days  – Mary Berry’s Treacle Tart
- Jaime over at Mom’s Test Kitchen  – Southern Tea Cakes
- Amy over at Kimchi MOM – Crack Pie, I Can’t Quit You
- Lyn fromThe Lovely Pantry  – Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Squares
- Melanie at From Fast Food to Fresh Food  – Sand Tarts
Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog