I love grilled fruit. I eat grilled pineapple slices on turkey burgers, grilled peaches with pork tenderloin, grilled grapes on shrimp kebabs, and I put grilled watermelon in my gazpacho. Now I eat grilled banana splits with dark chocolate, crushed pineapple and strawberry yogurt too. When I found out the theme of today’s #SundaySupper was Labor Day recipes, I knew I wanted to grill a new fruit. Enter banana splits.
Traditional vs. Grilled Banana Splits
What’s not to love about a good banana split with its creamy bananas, silky hot fudge sauce, cold ice cream, and fruity strawberry topping? Maybe the fat, calories, and carbs? Let’s try a version that focuses on the fruit, flavors, and textures of the original, but eliminates some of the bad stuff.
- We’ll keep the banana. It has some fiber and decent amounts of potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
- Dark chocolate chips replace the hot fudge sauce. Dark chocolate has been shown to have health benefits for your heart, your brain and your blood sugar. It’s also loaded with antioxidants plus vitamins and minerals such as copper and iron.
- We’ll use crushed pineapple (canned in juice, not syrup) instead of sickly sweet pineapple topping to save on carbs.
- We’ll replace the strawberry sauce and the vanilla ice cream with rich, thick nonfat Greek yogurt with strawberries. (You could also use fresh strawberries and plain or vanilla yogurt if you prefer.)
Here’s how the grilled banana splits stack up to Dairy Queen banana splits nutritionally:
|Dairy Queen Banana Split||Grilled Banana Split|
|Fat (total/sat)||12g / 8g||5g / 3g|
How to Grill and Serve
We grilled some steaks and sweet potatoes first, then added the bananas once the grill wasn’t quite so hot. Don’t put the bananas over a hot flame. Instead, move them to a spot where they will get indirect heat.
This is a great dessert for a crowd – just provide the fixings and have everyone stuff and bundle their own.
I ate my banana split by putting the yogurt on one half, leaving the other half plain and taking a bite from one side, then a bite from the other. I couldn’t decide if I liked it better with the yogurt or without, so this was my compromise.
Enjoy these grilled banana splits!
Grilled Banana Splits
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons nonfat strawberry Greek yogurt
Place the banana on a cutting board so that it curves upward. Starting at the stem end, slice the banana lengthwise about 2/3 of the way through (keep the bottom peel intact).
Tear a piece of aluminum foil large enough to completely enclose the banana and place banana on top. Slightly pry the two sides of the banana apart and stuff in the chocolate chips and pineapple. Pull up all sides of the foil to cover the banana.
Place on grill over indirect heat and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes or until chocolate is starting to melt.
Remove from heat, remove foil and cut the rest of the way through so you have two halves. Top with strawberry yogurt.
Using fresh strawberries and plain Greek yogurt will save you some carbs.
If cooking for a crowd, put out several different fixings and have everyone stuff and bundle their own banana.
The #SundaySupper gang will be sharing favorite Labor Day recipes all afternoon on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram on Sunday, September 2, 2012. We will also have a live chat at 7 p.m. EST on Twitter and will be using the hashtag #SundaySupper. We look forward to answering questions, giving tips and inspiring you to spend more time Around the Family Table with those you love! Thanks to Isabel of Family Foodie for hosting this event.
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- Lightened Lemon Pound Cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ