This week’s #SundaySupper features Back to School dishes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Even though The Grillmaster and I don’t have kids at home, there are still nights when we need quick meals due to meetings or other commitments. In these situations, we usually pull out the wok and whip up dinners like Chicken Cashew Stir-Fry.
We often serve this dish over baby spinach or other greens. We get an extra boost of fiber and vitamins, we don’t have to take the time to cook rice and I don’t have to worry about the extra carbs. If you want to serve this stir-fry with rice, cook a double batch. The next night you can combine the leftover rice with chunks of ham, onions, peas, carrots and eggs to make some quick and tasty fried rice. You could also serve the chicken cashew stir-fry over low-carb cauliflower rice.
I actually timed myself when I was preparing this stir-fry. I shooed The Grillmaster out of the kitchen and pulled it off in about 24 minutes. Your mileage may vary, especially if you have kids underfoot.
Here are a few ways to further reduce prep and cooking time:
- Use pre-cut fresh or frozen mixed vegetables and substitute them for the red bell pepper and carrots.
- Use minced garlic from a jar.
- Use chopped ginger from a jar.
- Use roasted cashews and skip the step where you toast the raw cashews.
- Do the first step (marinating the chicken) in the morning. It will save you time when you’re ready to cook and allow the chicken to develop more flavor.
- Chop everything ahead of time and place each ingredient in a separate bowl next to the wok. Mix the tamari and orange juice in a small bowl ahead of time too.
What’s your favorite quick meal to prepare on a busy night?
Chicken Cashew Stir-Fry
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into crosswise strips
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 2 medium carrots cut diagonally into thin strips
- 4 scallions sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
In a medium bowl, combine chicken, 2 tablespoons tamari and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Toast cashews in a small nonstick skillet (don’t use any oil). Stir often, for about 3 to 4 minutes, until cashews are lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; stir-fry for a minute or so, until fragrant. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until no longer pink.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to wok. Add the carrots and stir-fry for about a minute. Add the red bell pepper and stir-fry another 3 minutes or so, until vegetables have softened, but are still crisp. Add half of scallions and cook for another 2 minutes.
Return chicken and its juices to wok. Combine orange juice and remaining 2 tablespoons tamari in a small bowl, then add to wok. Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Let boil for 30 seconds, then remove wok from heat.
Garnish with remaining scallions and cashews.
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and Beans by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle