My stepdaughter passed along this tortellini soup recipe from one of her friends. It’s been sitting in my cookbook stand waiting for a cold, rainy day. We finally had one.
This soup has it all – pasta, veggies and beans. I had a hard time finding the fresh tortellini at my local grocery store; I could only find a frozen variety. We are a tourist town and our visitors usually rent large homes that they share with family and friends for a week’s vacation. Most of them cook some while they are here to save money. Can you explain to me why the grocery store doesn’t have a boatload of fresh tortellini, ravioli, etc. from a company like Buitoni? I would think our tourists would snap up that kind of stuff. But I digress …
If you’re trying to eat a few vegetarian meals here and there, this tortellini soup should work well for you. It can be prepared from things you probably have on hand and it’s really easy to throw together after a stressful day at work.
Like Tortellini Soup with Beans?
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces tri-colored cheese tortellini, uncooked
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 (6 ounce) jars of artichoke hearts, drained
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers, basil, oregano and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth or stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add tortellini and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes (half of the cooking time the package recommends). Add beans, spinach and artichoke hearts. Cook until spinach has wilted and beans are warm, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese on each serving.