Pinjur is a Macedonian eggplant-based sauce. The version I found at Trader Joe’s contains smoky roasted peppers and tomatoes in addition to eggplant. If you can’t get your hands on Pinjur, use salsa or any pasta sauce you may have on hand. I used Pinjur because there was an open jar in my refrigerator I wanted to finish off.
Make it vegan: Use vegetable stock and skip the chicken.
Summer Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 banana peppers or 1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup Pinjur I used Trader Joe’s, salsa or tomato-based sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup eggplant sliced into half-moons
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into half-moons
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil shredded
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook just until garlic begins to sizzle. Add corn and peppers and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add stock, Pinjur (or other tomato-based sauce) and chicken. Stir well and season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then add eggplant and zucchini. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and stir in scallions, oregano and basil.
Vegetarian or vegan? Use vegetable stock and skip the chicken.